Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck
Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck Derived from the French term meaning “lily flower,” the Fleur de Lis tummy tuck isn’t just your regular abdominoplasty. This design, reminiscent of the lily symbol, allows for the removal of excess skin both horizontally and vertically for those who have had significant weight loss.
What are the types of Tummy Tuck surgery?
Fleur de Lis vs. Traditional Tummy Tuck
Plastic surgery has broadened its horizons over the years, offering a myriad of choices for those seeking cosmetic enhancements. One such domain where choices abound is tummy tucks or abdominoplasty. So, how does one differentiate between the two? Let’s delve into:
1. Incision Pattern:
- Fleur de Lis: In this method, the plastic surgeon cuts once vertically from the lower chest to the pubic area and again horizontally across the lower belly. The incisions are like a T or fleur-de-lis symbol.
- Normal Tummy Tuck: Primarily involves a horizontal incision placed just above the pubic hairline. Depending on the extent of the procedure, the length of this incision can vary. There might also be a small incision around the navel to reposition it.
2. Skin Removal Surgery:
- Fleur de Lis: Allows for the removal of excess skin both vertically and horizontally. This is particularly beneficial for those with redundant skin folds in the central abdominal region, often resulting from substantial weight loss.
- Normal Tummy Tuck: Focuses on removing excess skin or loose skin in a horizontal manner, typically addressing skin laxity below the belly button.
- Fleur de Lis: This approach requires both vertical and horizontal cuts, which can result in larger scars. However, you can usually cover these scars with clothing, and with proper care, they often fade over time.
- Normal Tummy Tuck: Leaves a horizontal scar that can be easily concealed
- Fleur de Lis: Offers a more comprehensive contouring solution, addressing excess skin and laxity in both vertical and horizontal dimensions. It can lead to a dramatic transformation, especially for massive weight loss patients.
- Normal Tummy Tuck: The surgeon removes excess skin and, if needed, tightens the underlying muscles to give a flatter and smoother belly look.
Benefits of Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck
- Comprehensive Skin Removal: It offers a more extensive skin removal than standard tummy tucks, beneficial for those with redundant skin folds.
- Improved Waist Contour: The procedure can significantly enhance the waist’s definition, providing a more sculpted appearance.
Preparation and Procedure for a Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck
Ensuring optimal results from a Fleur de Lis tummy tuck involves a mix of diligent preparation and understanding of the procedure:
- In-depth Consultation: Starting your journey should always be with a trusted, board-certified plastic surgeon. During the initial consultation:
- Medical History Review: The surgeon will review your medical history, including past surgeries, medical conditions, and any allergies.
- Physical Examination: The surgeon will thoroughly examine the abdominal area to check skin elasticity, excess fat, and muscle condition.
- Discussion: The surgeon will discuss your goals, provide realistic expectations, and answer any questions or concerns.
- Adherence to Preoperative Guidelines: Following your surgeon’s advice in the run-up to the procedure is paramount for safety and optimal results:
- Medication Management: Some medications and supplements can increase bleeding risks. If you are on medication, discuss it with your surgeon.
- Lifestyle Changes: Lifestyle Changes: Smoking can slow healing. So, doctors usually tell patients to stop or smoke less a few weeks before surgery.
- Dietary Recommendations: Some surgeons may recommend a balanced diet to ensure your body is in the best state for recovery.
Understanding the Procedure:
- Anesthesia: Surgeons use general anesthesia during the surgery to make sure you stay comfortable and don’t feel pain.
- Incision Process: The Fleur de Lis technique involves both a horizontal and a vertical incision, allowing for comprehensive skin removal and reshaping.
- Skin Removal and Muscle Tightening: The surgeon carefully removes excess skin.If needed, the surgeon will also tighten the underlying abdominal muscles, ensuring a more sculpted appearance.
- Closing Up: The surgeon sutures the incisions. Sometimes, they insert drains to prevent fluid buildup and usually take them out after a few days.
- Initial Recovery: After the procedure, you’ll spend some time in a recovery room under observation. However, you’ll need someone to drive you and ideally stay with you for the initial 24 hours.
- Dressings and Drains: You’ll likely have bandages over the incisions and might have drains to collect any excess fluid.
Recovery and Aftercare
Ensuring a smooth recovery after a Fleur de Lis tummy tuck requires dedication to postoperative care:
- Rest and Relaxation: Giving your body the time it needs to heal is paramount. While many patients feel better within a week, full recovery can take longer. Most people return to light activities in 2-3 weeks, but they should avoid hard exercises and heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks. Follow Instructions Religiously: Always adhere to the guidance provided by your surgeon. This includes how to clean and care for your incisions, managing potential discomfort with prescribed or recommended medications and knowing the signs of possible complications.
- Compression Garments Are Your Friend: Not only do these special garments reduce swelling, but they also support the newly contoured abdominal area, helping to achieve the desired shape. Most surgeons recommend wearing them for several weeks post-surgery.
Potential Risks and Side Effects
As with any surgical procedure, potential risks include infection, poor scarring, blood clots, and complications from anesthesia. However, if you choose a reputable surgeon and follow their post-operative care instructions, you can minimize many of these risks.
Fleur de Lis is a special tummy tuck for people who want a flatter stomach after losing a lot of weight. With its ability to provide comprehensive skin tightening and abdominal sculpting, it stands out as an optimal choice for many. As always, ensure thorough research and consult with a skilled plastic surgeon to determine if this procedure aligns with your goals.
START A VIRTUAL CONSULTATION
A virtual consultation is when you send us photos of the places of your body where you’d like to improve. Then our surgeon analyzes it to confirm that you are a candidate for that particular procedure. We later inform you about our doctor’s decision and give you a quote with all the information about your surgery. Please, do be at ease that everything is confidential between yourself, the doctor, and the doctor’s representative.